This year, use your IT expertise to bring joy to the end users on your holiday list by giving them a priceless gift – your IT knowledge to help them master their favorite technologies. Why get someone a gift you’re not sure they’ll love when you can help them program their Alexa device to tell them a dad joke every morning? Think of how much your uncle who refuses to wear his glasses will thank you when you make the icons on his phone bigger. Sometimes the littlest things really do make the biggest difference. Grab this IT pro guide to holiday gift giving, and win your end-users’ hearts.
With summer gone and the holiday season coming up, this is the time of year I always think about my grandma. Her scrumptious apple pie, her house full of holiday trinkets, and how she always managed to get herself wrapped up in credit card fraud. It’s truly amazing. Grandma would give her credit card number over the phone to pretty much anyone who asked her nicely. Someone had once opened and maxed out 3 credit cards in her name. The amount of times her identity was stolen was truly impressive.
Does she sound like someone on your list? Help this person! A little free advice can go far.
For the more gullible end-users in your life:
- Remind them to never give their credit card number over the phone – unless they’re giving it to you, of course.
- Make sure they don’t keep things like pin numbers or passwords on sticky notes at their desk at work.
- Get them a better password management system like LastPass or simply set a reminder in their phone to update their passwords periodically and call to walk them through it.
For the malware-prone:
- How about a nice, thorough computer scan? Clean up their, ahem, act.
- Pick your favorite anti-everything program, install it on their devices, and schedule it to scan periodically.
- Get them a Mac (kidding!).
For the I’ve-got-a-smart-everything folks:
- Mom got a new smart oven and can’t figure out how to even set the correct time? Program it to her liking, write clear how-to instructions, and pin them on the fridge next to your old honor roll award.
- Devices like the Echo Show are popular this year. Show dad how to use it to call you 10 times a day during work hours.
- Help them make shortcuts. Your nephew likes to cook? Show him how to save his favorite YouTube recipes to a playlist for easy reference. For your news lovers, customize their browser homepages to their favorite resources and teach them how to use bookmarks or apps like FlipBoard.
For seniors – popular how-to guides:
- Teach grandma how to take pictures of her pets and send them to all her friends.
- Write down an easy guide to the remote for grandpa so he never misses his favorite programs.
- Your uncle still can’t add attachments to an email – teach him how!
For your fellow IT pro:
Nothing beats the gift of knowledge, so why not gift an ITProTV membership? Or better yet, give the whole office the opportunity to grow their skills with ITProTV for teams, where there is something for everyone – your security specialists, your devs, your IT managers, and your company end users.
Bonus! An ITProTV membership doubles as a New Year gift for those with resolutions to better themselves – to learn new things or advance in their career.
With this list in hand, people will be raving. “How thoughtful,” they’ll say. “It’s just what I needed.” You’ll be a true holiday gift hero; go you!
Best wishes from the ITProTV team this holiday season.